Sherburn-in-Elmet Local Information

Sherburn-in-Elmet is a large village and civil parish in the Selby district of North Yorkshire, England, situated near to Selby. It is one of only three places in the area to be explicitly associated with the ancient Celtic kingdom of Elmet via featuring the kingdom's title in its name, the others being Barwick-in-Elmet and Scholes-in-Elmet. According to the 2001 census, Sherburn has a population of 6,221.

Sherburn-in-Elmet Estate Agents Estate Agents in Sherburn-in-Elmet

The village is of ancient establishment, possibly with Roman origins and was part of the wapentake of Barkston Ash in the West Riding of Yorkshire. The field adjoining All Saints' Church is the site of the palace of kings of Elmet, which was given (with the manor of Cawood) by Athelstan to the Archbishops of York on his conversion to Christianity in or around the 10th century.

The church itself is unusually large[according to whom?] for a village parish church and dates from around 1120, with Norman pillars and a later-built large tower housing a ring of eight bells. It was built on the site of an earlier Anglo-Saxon church. The Battle of Towton was fought nearby in 1461 and local legend[according to whom?] tells that King Edward IV, who won the battle, used the church tower as a point for surveying the battle lines. This is indeed a legend as due to the topography of the land and the weather conditions on the day of the battle, it is not possible to see the battle ground from the tower.

During the English Civil War, the village was garrisoned by the Royalists for King Charles I; it was close to their stronghold at Selby and the northern capital of York, and commanded the approaches from both the south and the west. In 1645, the Parliamentarians attacked Sherburn and defeated the garrison. On 15 October 1645 the Battle of Sherburn-in-Elmet took place. A Royalist force commanded by Lord Digby and Sir Marmaduke Langdale attacked and initially defeated the Parliamentarian garrison now based in the village. However, another Parliamentarian force, under Colonel Copley, counterattacked and routed the Royalists. Thus was defeated the last significant Royalist force in the North during the First English Civil War.

Sherburn-in-Elmet is often referred to locally as simply 'Sherburn'. It has Leeds as its post town and an LS25 postcode, but is in North Yorkshire.

The village has three supermarkets: Spar, Tesco Express and Co-op. There are several independently owned shops, and a market in the centre of the village on Wednesdays and Saturdays.

Sherburn is a regular meeting place for motorcycle riders, particularly on Wednesday evenings and Sunday afternoons.[citation needed] The roads leading into Sherburn-in-Elmet are known nationally for the varied and pleasurable rides they offer for motorcyclists.

The town is now home to a major industrial site attracting large businesses such as Eddie Stobart Ltd. The former Gascoigne Wood mine, which was part of the Selby coalfield project, is to the south-east.

Home to Sherburn-in-Elmet Airfield which is currently the base for the Sherburn Aero Club, Sherburn's links with the air industry go back to the Second World War when the Blackburn Aircraft Company built the Fairey Swordfish in the town. Production ended in 1945, and by then 1,699 such aircraft had been built in Sherburn. The airfield also saw the first flight of L.E. Baynes's famous prototype glider, the Baynes Bat

The town is served by Sherburn-in-Elmet railway station with services to York railway station, Hull Paragon Interchange and Sheffield railway station, with a second station (South Milford railway station) in nearby South Milford providing services to Leeds and Kingston upon Hull. Arriva Yorkshire buses go to Leeds, Tadcaster and Selby.

Sherburn has two primary schools, Hungate and Athelstan. The secondary school, Sherburn High School, has recently gained the status of a specialist science school.

Sherburn White Rose Football Club

After being disbanded for some years, Sherburn White Rose was reformed in 1960 and have played in the West Yorkshire League for more than half a century. The club benefited from a substantial grant from the football foundation in 2003 and used the funds to build a new club-house, with bar, function room, kitchen and changing rooms. In 2006 the club regained their status in the Premier Division of the West Yorkshire League, and in 2007 it fielded three separate senior teams for the first time in the club's history. It was one of the first clubs in Yorkshire to be recognised as an F.A Charter Standard Club, and signed up for the F.A Respect campaign in 2008. In 2009 the club won both Barkston Ash District F.A senior competitions - the first time it had won both cups in the same season.

Text and Photographs: Wikipedia & Wikimedia Commons

View our sold properties
  • Jigsaw Move Selby
  • National Association of Estate Agents
  • Association of Residental Letting Agents
  • Landlord & Letting Awards Winner 2013-14
  • Landlord & Letting Awards
  • The Negotiator Awards 2012
  • Safe Agent
  • NLA Property Women Awards 2010 Regional Winner